Ep 22: Tips from the Surplus Lines Stamping Office of Texas
Tara Mitchell and Norma Essary are from the Surplus Lines Stamping Office of Texas (SLTX). Norma is the Executive Director and her task is to provide the oversight of the organization. She has been working with SLTX for just over a year, but she brings with her over 25 years of insurance and risk management experience.
Tara Mitchell is the IT Director and while she’s only been with the company for 10 months, she once worked from the Department of Insurance as a project manager and financial examiner. Her role is to look at the current technology of the company and innovate it in such a way that it would improve their internal processes.
In this episode, Tara and Norma share their wisdom with regards to some of the terms used in surplus lines. They also provide examples of scenarios where clients and agents run into problems and issues regarding filing and various transactions.
“Late filings can cause real financial consequences in terms of late fees,
or worse, even enforcement cases.” – Tara Mitchell
– what you’ll learn –
- Common issues among late filers.
- What people need to know about coverage and class.
- Why it is difficult to evaluate eligible surplus lines policy.
- What people need to know about diligent effort.
- What are exempt commercial purchases?
- What people need to know when it comes to transaction types.
Connect with Tara and Norma:
- Website: www.sltx.org
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: (512) 531-1880
- When it comes to compliance, sometimes it’s just having that basic knowledge between what is a policy and what is a binder.
- Late filings are subject to penalties, consent orders, or other remedies.
This episode was brought to you by…
Spot On Insurance is brought to you by Insurance Licensing Services of America (ILSA), America’s premier insurance licensing experts. To learn more about ILSA and their services, visit ILSAinc.com.
Connect, Learn, Share
Subscribe so you never miss an episode. Love what you’re learning? Spot Light your review on iTunes and share your favorite episodes with friends and colleagues!
Visit us on Facebook every Friday at 11 a.m. Eastern Time where we answer your podcast questions through our interactive Facebook Friday Q&A Live events!