Ep. 80: Cool, Crazy & Fun Insurance Nerds
Tony Cañas is a CPCU, MBA, Co-Founder, chief motivator, blogger, insurance expert, speaker, and communicator of the millennial generation, who will soon make up over 50% of the workforce. He is from Costa Rica and moved to the U.S. in 2002—and has been in the insurance industry since 2009.
Carly Burnham is a CPCU, MBA, Co-Founder, chief editor, and currently a Product Manager with Explore Information Services, and is involved in the Presque Isle CPCU Society Chapter, CPCU Society New Designee Community, CPCU Society Underwriting Interest Group, CPCU Society Leadership and Managerial Excellence Interest Group.
Nick Lamparelli is a CUO of rethought Insurance and a partner at Insurance Nerds, who is a 20-year veteran of the insurance industry. He moved from home and auto insurance to being a commercialized broker.
“Young people don’t get exposed to insurance like they do to any other type of industry or technology.” – Nick Lamparelli.
“A lot of us in the insurance industry are searching for fulfillment in our work.” – Carly Burnham.
“Today it is essential that you build a network both inside and outside your company” – Tony Cañas.
What you'll learn:
- How did Tony get started in insurance?
- What were the challenges that Tony faced initially??
- What drew Carly to the insurance industry?
- How did Tony and Carly get to know each other?
- What brought Nick into insurance?
- How is the industry changing to accommodate younger people?
- How do management styles and empowerment affect working in insurance?
- Why are people looking towards side hustles and gigs as opposed to a long-term career?
- How does fulfillment and purpose play a role in careers and our working lives?
- How did the Insurance Nerds take form?
- Which insurance industry conferences and organizations offer the most value to new industry members?
- What is Insurance Nerds Day all about?
- What is some advice for young professionals that are looking to get established?
Connect with Our Guests
Connect with Tony:
Connect with Carly:
Connect with Nick:
- Success in the insurance industry comes down to education, experience and networking
- You need to make sure that people know who you are both within your company your industry and outside of your industry. If you want to be successful become known
- Don’t be afraid to ask for the wisdom of others
This episode was brought to you by
Insurance Licensing Services of America (ILSA), America’s premier regulatory compliance experts. To learn more visit ILSAinc.com.