Ep. 86: The Science of Epigenetics & Life Insurance
Jon Sabes is the CEO at GWG Holdings, Inc., the parent company of GWG Life which is a financial services company that aims to transform the life insurance industry by means of disruptive and innovative technology, products, and services. He has structured over $900-Million in financing commitments for his related businesses. He also has over 20 years experience in the fields of venture capital, finance, business development, federal taxation, and managerial operations.
Jon joins us today to explain how epigenetics can help life insurance companies better understand their clients before they become policyholders. He shares where he got the idea of connecting epigenetics and insurance, his passion for genetics, and how our genes can predetermine our health risks. He also discusses some of the challenges of running this type of business as well as what he enjoys about it.
“Learning about genetics has been the most fascinating part of my entire professional career.” - Jon Sabes
What you'll learn:
- How he got started in the genomic industry and what inspired him to pursue this career.
- How a UCLA Geneticist impacted the way their company worked.
- The difference between genetics and epigenetics and their insurance applications.
- How his company can help the insurance industry determine an applicant's real health status.
- The difference between a genetics test
and andan epigenetics test, what they do.
- The challenges of this type of testing and how cost factors into it.
- The regulatory landscape for the business they run.
- Why he finds this type of business fun and exciting for this industry.
- What he and his company plan to do in the future.
- We can use epigenetics to allow people to get the best rates for their life insurance.
- Non-smokers and non-drinkers can acquire smoking and alcohol-related diseases by way of genetics.
- Technology is the path to a better and more efficient industry. Stay cognizant of global trends and technology and leverage them to your advantage.
This episode was brought to you by
Insurance Licensing Services of America (ILSA), America’s premier regulatory compliance experts. To learn more visit ILSAinc.com.