Ep. 71: Today’s Innovative Underwriter
Mike Gulla is the Director of Underwriting at Hippo Insurance, an insurance company that seeks to provide simple and easy to understand home insurance that is up to date with modern homeowner lifestyles. Mike’s responsibilities include developing full stack policy administration systems, support research and development efforts for system integrations, and providing subject matter expertise for regulatory filings, policy ratings, and compliance reviews. He holds a degree in Political Science focused in American Government and Politics from Troy University.
Mike joins us today to discuss how insurance companies should innovate without alienating their consumers. He shares his story on how he got started in the insurance industry and what makes Hippo different. He also explains the need to modernize home insurance policies, why he thinks the Internet of Things is the future of insurance, and how the industry will look ten years from now.
“Internet of Things is the one thing that’s going to revolutionize insurance.” – Mike Gulla
What you’ll learn:
- What set Mike on the path to a career in the insurance industry.
- The risks companies need to take to succeed in this market.
- The innovations that companies need to focus on to provide what the customers want.
- Why their company is not promoting disruption.
- What underwriters currently do and how their responsibilities have evolved over the years.
- Why underwriting is so innovative today.
- What consumers need to consider when looking at insurance.
- How do we streamline the compliance process?
- What he thinks will happen with insurance in the next ten years.
- Why he believes the Internet of Things is the future of insurance.
- If you’ve mastered a process, it means it’s time to think of a way to make it better.
- Underwriting touches every facet of insurance. Everything at some point will reach the underwriting process.
- At the end of the day, innovations should all be about the customer and not the company.
This episode was brought to you by
Insurance Licensing Services of America (ILSA), America’s premier regulatory compliance experts. To learn more visit ILSAinc.com.