Ep 27: Changes of the Affordable Healthcare Act and Its Implications for the Insurance Industry
Todd Martin is a partner at Stinson Leonard Street, LLP and has over 20 years of experience in employee benefits, transactions, insurance regulation, administrative law, and governance. He spent 7 of those 20 years working in the corporate legal group of a Fortune 500 insurer. One of his greatest achievements at Stinson is his ACA Status chart, a document designed to give a general overview of main mandates of the ACA. Todd serves to provide a practical approach to make sure clients understand the complex regulatory environment.
In this episode, Todd shares his thoughts on the politics that surround the Affordable Healthcare Act. He shares his views and ideas on what makes it great and what makes it disagreeable, and explains why the healthcare industry is much more complex than meets the eye. He also dives into how the ACA has impacted the insurance industry.
“The ACA caused a fundamental shift in the way the health insurance marketplace worked.” – Todd Martin
– what you’ll learn –
- What is the Affordable Care Act and what does it include?
- Why the ACA is not a healthcare act, but a health insurance act.
- Interplay of regulations within the Affordable Healthcare Act and the existing state regulations.
- Groups majorly impacted by the Act and how they were impacted.
- The different perspectives on the ACA and their respective outcomes.
- His insight on regulating the ACA at the local and state level.
- The challenge on resolving complex healthcare policies in a political environment.
- The impact of healthcare cost on health insurance.
- Points we need to focus on to make progress.
- What drives the cost of healthcare?
Connect with Todd:
- Dealing with the cost of healthcare is incredibly difficult.
- The Affordable Care Act doesn’t cover the entire field of regulation.
- The real solution does require cooperation and that can be challenging in a political environment.
This episode was brought to you by…
Spot On Insurance is brought to you by Insurance Licensing Services of America (ILSA), America’s premier insurance licensing experts. To learn more about ILSA and their services, visit ILSAinc.com.