Ep. 161: Insurance Career Trends
Ben Volkmer is an Insurance Recruiter at Questpro, a company that provides staffing services to the Risk Management and Insurance industry. For the last 12 years, he has been in charge of recruiting sales and account management and works primarily with insurance carriers and their distribution partners. Ben specializes in workers’ compensation, permanent placement, underwriting, sales, and property & casualty insurance.
Ben joins us to share what it’s like to be a recruiter for the insurance industry. He describes what motivated him to chase a career in recruitment and how an injury factored into his decision. He explains what a recruiter does, their responsibilities, and the many mistakes applicants make when writing and submitting resumes. Ben also discusses the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic in the job market and how this crisis will change the way companies hire people who work from home.
“The way people find talent is innumerably different across all firms.” – Ben Volkmer
What you’ll learn:
- Ben’s urban upbringing and what made him choose a career in insurance.
- When he broke his neck and how it changed his career and life forever.
- How he got involved in the business of recruiting.
- What a ‘headhunter’ does and the best way to utilize them.
- Examples of bad resumes and how to write a good one.
- Ben’s thoughts on companies who rely on aggressive advertising.
- The financial impact of COVID-19 and its effects on recruiting businesses.
- How companies can retain their existing employees during the coronavirus crisis.
- How the pandemic will change the way companies view work-from-home options.
- Why real estate is an obstacle for many businesses.
- The top positions they have trouble filling.
- Some of the positions that pay the most money.
- What people should be doing right now when it comes to networking.
- Website: Questpro
- Recruiters get paid by companies on delivery and by the start of the candidates.
- You can make more as a broker than CEOs at large organizations with TV commercials.
- There are billions of dollars in premium with organizations that don’t advertise themselves and don’t want to be the most visible employer out there but are still incredibly great places to build careers.
This episode was brought to you by
Insurance Licensing Services of America (ILSA), America’s premier regulatory compliance experts. To learn more visit ILSAinc.com.