Ep. 96: Mentors, Sponsors, Internships: A Newcomer’s Groundwork
Douglas Dick is an Underwriting and Claims Trainee at Sompo International, a large property and casualty insurance group that caters to the Japanese domestic market. Douglas’s responsibilities include protecting the company from possible financial losses, determining which individuals are high risk, and whether certain clients should have coverage or not. Despite being new to the industry, he brings with him extensive experience interning for companies in the commercial sector and restaurant service as well as a vast networking experience.
Douglas joins us today to share how he went from student to intern and the exciting stories and experiences throughout his journey. He shares the lessons he has learned from the various companies he interned for. He also describes some of the challenges he overcame in transitioning to becoming a professional and shares how his first mentor helped him find his passion in this industry.
“When you conclude an internship, follow up and foster the relationship you formed.” – Douglas Dick
What you’ll learn:
- Douglas’s career background and how he started working in the insurance industry.
- The networking events he was able to attend and what they were about.
- The skills that helped him transition from student to employee.
- The moment he realized he needed to invest in himself.
- His first mentor and how it impacted his journey.
- The internships he did, his mindset, and the fears he had.
- What you should look for when choosing a company.
- His responsibilities at Sompo International.
- The difference between adequate and excellent systems.
- In looking for your first job, find management that cares about development.
- We can’t do this alone. We need people in our tribe and people to support us in becoming successful.
- As a student, make sure you build something for your future because nothing will be handed to you.
This episode was brought to you by
Insurance Licensing Services of America (ILSA), America’s premier regulatory compliance experts. To learn more visit ILSAinc.com.