Ep. 03: Sell with a Story
Paul Smith is one of the world’s leading experts on organizational storytelling. He has worked with Accenture and Procter & Gamble in the past, lending them his expertise on communications. Currently, Paul is a keynote speaker, storytelling coach, and is the best-selling author of the books Lead with a Story, Sell with a Story, and Parenting with a Story.
Paul graced us with his presence to share his expert insights as he dissects the link between great story telling and selling, which he discussed in depth in his best-seller book Sell with a Story. The book deep-dives on the elements of awesome storytelling to capture attention, build trust and closing sale.
“As far as knowing which stories to tell, or how to find those right stories, I always say start with the end in mind. What do you want your audience to think, feel, or do, after hearing your story?" - Paul Smith
What you'll learn:
- What the term story really means based on its elements.
- What is a sales story, and the difference between a sales pitch and a sales story.
- How the story behind a photo of a pig in the ocean compelled him to buy that artwork.
- The three components that separate a great sales story from the average ones.
- Choosing the right story to tell through an eight-point checklist in the story structure.
- The three places to look for stories worth telling.
- How to effectively tell stories using data and numbers.
- Learning how to tell stories that can help with selling.
Connect with paul
- Facts embedded in stories are easier to remember.
- Effective story-telling influences decision-making.
- Begin with the end in mind.
- Tap through moments of success, failure, and epiphany for greater impact.
- Numbers and data can be interesting stories by sharing the journey to discovery with your audience.
- Storytelling can be learned with proper guidance, tools, and practice.
This episode was brought to you by
Insurance Licensing Services of America (ILSA), America’s premier regulatory compliance experts. To learn more visit ILSAinc.com.